Thursday, April 23, 2009

LBC- Ideologies in the Maori Language Revitalization Movement

On March 11, I attended the LBC lectured titled “Ideologies in the Maori Language Revitalization Movement” which featured Jeanette King from the University of Canterbury.  Although the lecture was a while ago and I’ve been procrastinating this write up, I do remember what Ms. King talked about.

            Ms. King talked about this new and interesting field, and how their beliefs about language affects actions.  Ms. King first explained the history of Maori and how it’s the language of the indigenous people of New Zealand.  I learned that the Maori population is about 550,000 people, which is about 15% of the New Zealand population.

            Ms. King’s purpose was to spread the word that they are about revitalizing the Maori language.  She was advertising the website www.generationreo.com which was a sight that helps parents raise there children bilingually.  “Keia A Koe Te Mana,” which translates to “You have the Power” gives people inspiration that they have the power and abilities to do anything.

            The factors that influence language choice were knowledge, situation, motivation, and critical awareness (Te Puni Ko Kiri 2002:15), according to Ms. King.  These programs plans were to work alongside the community to respond to the communities needs.  The initiative of this Maori development was by the Maori, for the Maori, in Maori, and about Maori.

No comments: