Thursday, April 9, 2009

Tuesday Preview: Sāmoan diaspora and hip hop

Short Tagata Pasifika clip on Sāmoan artist Zipso.

2 comments:

Kari said...

“Palagi beat but rapped in Samoan”. Definitely creating a new hybrid of music. I didn’t know what “Palagi” was so I looked it up online, for what I gathered it’s equivalent to “white” or “foreign”.Zipso is heralded as “one of the freshest sounds out of the South Pacific” for his music. You can tell from the interview that he really finds strength and support within the Samoan community. Zipso, in explaining his musical style said that, “The main tunes of my music are Samoan tunes” but that his music also has modern influence, like from hip hop. With that he has created a new genre of music: Samoan hip hop. I admire that ZIpso hopes to be known especially to the young generations of his country “who do not know the importance of our language” and he hopes that this would “help them to know the importance of Samoan language for their future”

estradad said...

I was taught that Palagi was a term used in Polynesia as a Polynesian foreigner not born and raised in Hawaiʻi nei. I noticed Native Samoans were known as Palagi by the clothes they would wear here in the islands. Clothes that were comfortable as bed sheets. I find my taste of music as universal and cultural. Palagi beats rapped in Samoan are high-spirited rich with traditional rymes. Iʻm inspired to play more songs on my guitar!