Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Linguistics Beyond the Classroom


The sticker above was found on the back of a tinted car window and refers to the future of the "Kamehameha Schools"founded in 1887 "Imua" in Hawaiian is to move forward. The picture of Kamehameha !st who unified the islands.  

The sticker below was found on a window part of a building near a Parking lot. "Free Hawaiʻi" could have multiple meanings; when I see this statement it reminds me of Trade. In old Hawaiʻi, needful things were done in trade not in money.     




A family member or driver of the vehicle has relation or connections to a "Federal Fire Department" empolyee. Usually police officers second guess this vehicles and will not cite a ticket. 

The sticker above with the "Hawaiian flag" and sticker on the right saying "Cook Rice Not Ice"
Hawaiians who stand against Ice, a huge statement taken from a Federal Fire Department employee vehicle/ family member. 

"I not Late I stay on Hawaiian Time" is HCE explaining that Local people are laid back and never on time to scheduled appointments. "I think not" in my own saying because if Iʻm still in a meeting and it went over time and I was late for a prior meeting, the Hawaiian thinking is, Iʻm here now because my other meeting has finished, lets begin. 

   Rear windows: I rode around on my bike balancing my camera while trying to steer with the other hand. My neighborhood is Makiki, most of these shots were taken quickly because I didnʻt want any complications with the vehicle owners. I know it is not illegal to take pictures of vehicle stickers but I didnʻt want to deal with authorities. So, The purpose was to take a visible part of Island pride splashed on the back of car windows. The language represented in these pictures fall under Hawaiian Creole English. I thought it went Sucessfully!  
    
This sticker is widely known on the islands because of the popular tv show "Lost" This specific sticker could have multiple meanings, I think it means an identity "Lost" in a modern day society.

"Hanapaʻa" meaning in the Hawaiian Dictionary is, "to make secure, fasten, shut up." Local fisherman use this saying when fishing. 



This sticker is for creative minds to solve. "Forever my Life" More of a slang pharse than HCE. 

This shot was take in a shopping center parking lot near Makiki. The sticker reads "DAKINE" and in Hawaiʻi it has multiple meanings. e.g. Eh, you "Da kine"everybody is looking for? This phrase could mean, Hey, are you that person on the news?


This picture is a Pidgin saying, "Like Ride" meaning while were on the islands would you like to ride with me in my car. The other design between like ride could be a boat and the saying would read, would you like to sail to the neighbor islands. (SuperFerry). 
 I see a surfer on the left of what looks like a helmet and face on the right. "Poly" could stand for Polynesian and "Boi" could refer to Boy or Man and "Productionz" is Productions. The saying is Polynesian Boy Production probally referring to youth in Hawaiʻi, a surfing/warrior lifestyle. 

No comments: